If you have been in a drunk driving accident and charged, you need a drunk driving attorney to understand the process as well as let you know what to expect. Being charged with drunk driving may impact your life which makes it a big deal. A public defender would be much better than representing yourself. Although you would have to pay to get an accident attorney to represent you, those legal fees would be much better than fines, jail time, license suspension or even losing your job due to the charges. Provided here are a few helpful suggestions to guide you in your search for the right personal injury lawyer.
1. Look for a lawyer that specializes in personal injury law but more particularly in automobile accidents and drunk driving accidents.
2. Search for an attorney with known experience in representing drunk driving accident victims. You can do a Google search or check out newspapers for any recent and successful cases in your area. Look out for any similarities between your situation and theirs. The attorney who handled that case will certainly know how to go about yours.
3. This may contradict with the aforementioned statement, but do not immediately go for the lawyer who’s face is all over TV commercials and billboards. Although this individual could be well-known and popular, these companies tend to be high volume, which means that you’ll be only a number to them. You want a company that values quality over quantity and who will know you by name.
4. Accessibility is essential when searching for a lawyer. You need an attorney that you can speak to or get in touch with whenever you have questions. You also need a lawyer who will handle your caseload rather than sending it off to a clerk.
5. Look for someone whose compassionate about your predicament. Such cases can make it a very emotional time for you, and besides the paperwork, you may need someone to listen to you or just to assist you to stay positive during the draining procedure of filing the claim. This kind of support helps your frame of mind in addition to helping you on your recovery.
6. Look for a lawyer that’s known for aggressiveness in the court. The best personal injury lawyers can offer you compassion while fighting for you aggressively in court.
7. Find someone who gives free consultations. This gives a no-pressure scenario for you and provides you with peace of mind during the procedure.
8. Find an attorney who’s connected well with the medical personnel and is knows about medical care to take care of all your treatments.